The provision of retiree accommodation in Kulin has a long and interesting history.
Early 1970’s: An inaugural committee of the Kulin Retirement Homes Inc is formed.
11 December 1975: Kulin’s first retirement home buildings are officially opened. These are Units 1 & 2, located in the Kulinda Village. The Kulin Masonic Lodge generously donated the land to commence building the units. The Kulin Lions club supplied materials, concreted the pad and paid for the original personal alarm system to be installed.
Circa 1985: Units 3 & 4 in the Kulinda Village are opened.These were also built by the Kulin Shire with assistance from Kulin Retirement Homes Committee and community volunteers. Whilst there is no plaque to establish the exact date units 3 and 4 were officially opened, it is believed to be close to 1985. The Kulin Lions club donated a cash contribution of $10,000 towards the building of these units.
September 1994: A ‘Getting Kulin Going’ community meeting is held and aged care facilities and housing are identified as an area of need for the town. A feasibility study was undertaken to investigate building a Frail Aged Hostel in Kulin. The Kulin Retirement Homes committee lodged a submission with the Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health. However, the application coincided with the Federal Government cutting funding for Frail Aged Hostel places. The Government redirected funds into programmes like HACC to keep the elderly in their own homes. In response, the retirement Homes Committee in conjunction with the Shire of Kulin, applied and were successful in receiving Homeswest Joint Venture funding to build an additional five units in Kulinda Village.
19 September 1997 - Units 5 to 10 are opened in Kulinda Village. Community funds were also needed to build the joint venture units. The committee undertook fundraising which included catering, cropping the air strip and donations of grain and cash. Kulin community groups, businesses, individuals and farmers were extremely generous donating time, grain and money to the project. Cultivating Kulin Committee, funded by Kulin Bush Races made a $10,000 cash contribution. The overwhelming support gave the Retirement Homes Committee their cash contribution, allowing the project to proceed. The land for the entire Kulin Retirement Homes buildings was generously donated by the Kulin Masonic Lodge. The building of all units at Kulinda Village has been made possible by the valuable support of the Shire of Kulin. The Shire continues to provide ongoing support and expertise, which is greatly appreciated by the committee of Kulin Retirement Homes Inc.
November 2011 - Workman Estate Villas are officially opened. During the fundraising drive for Kulinda Village, the committee advertised frequently in the ‘Kulin Cultivator’ local paper requesting donations for this project. An ex resident of Kulin, Ms Kath Workman had been receiving a monthly edition of the Kulin Cultivator and became aware of the Retirement Homes fundraising drive. She lived in Mandurah and was known only to a few Kulin residents. Following her death in 1997, the Kulin Retirement Homes Committee was advised that Ms Workman had bequeathed her estate to the Kulin Retirement Homes. The Workman Estate was invested into the cash contribution to build three new self-contained retirement villas adjacent to Kulin Village.
Margaret Kathleen (Kath) Workman 1917 – 1997: Kath Workman was the youngest daughter of Josephine and Sydney Workman, who were pioneer settlers in the Kulin area. It is believed they commenced farming in Kulin about 1911-1912. Kath had an older brother and sister, Fred and Jean. Kath’s mother, Mrs Josephine Workman, a midwife, delivered most of the babies in the Kulin area around that time. Kath Workman finished at Kulin School in 1932 and left Kulin in 1937 when the farming property was sold.